Saturday, February 22, 2014

Overcoming Obstacles Lesson

Small Group

I am currently running two small groups for upper grades students with low academic motivation. Some of these kids openly admit that they do not like school - and the underlying reason is often that school is difficult for them.  More difficult than it was for me and you.

Unconditional Positive Regard

Throughout this group, I have found it important to create a group environment that allows for honesty and discussion.  This group is not about students giving me the "right answers."  When I facilitate this small group, I remember one of the tenets of Carl Rogers' person-centered theory - unconditional positive regard.  This means that I accept the students as they are and without judgment.  The goal is not to tell them that they should like school.  The goal is to help uncover what is holding them back and inspire them to change.

I hope for light bulb moments - moments when they realize how their thought patterns hold them back or moments when they catch a piece of inspiration that can push them to do better.  I remember a session when one of the students shared damaging words from a relative about their potential for success.  Challenging these false beliefs and making connections for success is what this group is all about!

Videos

One thing I love to use with this group is videos.  Videos are visual, attention-grabbing, sometimes funny, and sometimes emotional.  When showing some of the videos, several of the boys have jokingly (or maybe it was truth in jest) said, "I'm going to cry!" 

When something triggers the emotional part of our brain, we tend to remember it better.

Below are several of the motivational videos I use as part of my work with these students.

Video #1



Discussion Questions:
  • What was his dream?
  • What stood in the way?
  • What kept him going?
And the key is to always relate the content of the video back to their personal situation!

Video #2



Discussion Questions:
  • What was his obstacle?
  • How did he overcome it?
  • How can our attitude influence our situation?
Video #3


No comments:

Post a Comment