Thursday, February 13, 2014

School Counseling Office Decor

A school counselor's office makes a big first impression.  When a child or parent walks in, they decide:  Is this a safe place for me to talk about my life or my child's problems?  Or do I feel like I am in the Principal's Office?

I spend a lot of time in my office - so I want it to represent me and who I am as a counselor - fun, exciting, creative, safe, and caring!

On my office door, I include a simple, easy-to-understand, mission statement that I feel addresses the social-emotional, academic, and career components of the ASCA model.

"My mission is to help students with problems, support their strengths and talents, and guide them towards future success."




I have a Counselor word collage posted to help students and parents understand my role. 

My personal mission statement is also posted on my door.  It communicates to others what motivates me to be a school counselor, and is a great reminder for myself everyday when I walk in!  My personal mission statement is:

"I want to inspire people.  I want someone to look at
me and say, 'Because of you, I didn't give up.'"
 
Below is a photo of my office door, with a colorful, fun border.  You can buy the border from Stones Education Superstore:

Character Education Bolder Border®, T-85062

 
Once students enter my office, I have a comfortable, fun area filled with books, toys, stuffed animals, and interesting gadgets.  For seating, I have bean bags (which the kids love), a soft pillow, a chair, and a rug.  I bought my bean bags at Garden Ridge - they have a large assortment.  My soft pillow came from Dollar General and my rug came from Wal-Mart. 




Of course, every school counselor needs a sandbox!  I also have a dry erase board.  I sometimes use this to teach lessons.  I also use a projector to project relevant YouTube video clips onto the white board for small groups.

 
 
 

More décor tips to come in another blog post...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment